For more information, you can contact IDOT District 1 (847) 705-4000 Option 7 then Option 2 9/23/19 Update from IDOT.
All lanes are open with the exception of the second left turning lanes on each corner due to the temporary traffic signals not allowing for a double turn arrow.
The remaining work left to be completed in 2019 is road striping which is expected to be completed the week of December 2.
The temporary traffic signals will remain until work can resume in 2020. One left turning lane on each side will be open until the permanent traffic signals can be installed in 2020 along with landscaping. The estimated completion date of the project remains to be mid-summer of 2020.
The contract 60Y25 is currently in a modified staged construction.
The work scheduled to be completed this year is The current work is underground electrical. They are installing the foundations for the new lighting and are running into rock at each of the foundation locations.
The proposed schedule of work is the following:
1. Install lighting foundations (rock excavation is the issue at each foundation they have to dig about 9 feet deep, (33 out of 43 have been completed)): Approximately 1 week of work remaining weather pending
2. Install buried conduit from foundation to foundation for lighting ( rock may also be an issue) ( 2 weeks)
3. Install Guardrail post and guardrail ( rock may be an issue) ( 1 to 2 weeks overlap with conduit work)
4. Install Traffic signal foundations at each of the dugout four corners, ( rock will definitely be an issue the foundations are between 36" to 40" in diameter and up to 17 feet deep, specialized equipment is being obtained to try and drill these large foundations)( time frame pending Equipment).
5. Once above work is complete traffic will be staged to the outside lane, still one in each direction, so they can work on removing and installing new PCC center medians. ( 2 weeks).
6. Once medians are installed then full area can be paved with HMA surface. ( 3days).
7. Pavement markings/ RPM's (4days).
IDOT is pushing for these lanes to be opened by mid to late November, but it will all depend on the rock excavations for the underground work.
There will be other work that will be happening at the same time as this work , sidewalk, slope, bike path, and some landscaping.
For further information, visit Illinois Department of Transportation.